William SmallPrint Page
The monument was originally erected as a fountain to commemorate William Small Junior, former Grafton Town Clerk from 1892 to 1902. The fountain is no longer functioning.
William Small was born on the family property at Swan Creek in 1861, the son of Clarence River pioneers who were among the first to take up land in the district. He was appointed Grafton Council Clerk on May 2nd 1892, a position he held with great distinction until the demands of business interests forced him to relinquish the post in July 1902.
For over 20 years, he conducted one of the leading auctioneering businesses on the Clarence River. He was a familiar figure at the South Grafton Saleyards and well-known throughout the Northern Rivers area, New England Tablelands and Queensland where he sold farms and grazing properties. He died in 1910 at the age of 49, survived by his wife Emma and five children.
Following his death a memorial to perpetuate his memory was built by public subscription and erected at the intersection of Skinner and Spring Streets, South Grafton. It has since been relocated to the adjacent roundabout at the intersection of Skinner and Ryan Streets, South Grafton.
Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), 17 May 1913.
|Address:||Skinner & Ryan Streets, South Grafton, 2460|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.705158|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Actual Event STart Date:||02-May-1892|
|Approx. Event End Date:||July-1902|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1913|