Joe SandsPrint Page
Plaque commemorates Shire Clerk Joe Sands.
Joe Sands came to Wynnum as the Shire Clerk in 1907. He and his family lived in the Shire Clerk’s Cottage, where they kept milking cows, poultry and a vegetable garden. In 1913, when Wynnum Shire became a township, Joe Sands became the Town Clerk.
His duties were varied, including overseeing town works, processing rates and fines, and, temporarily, administering the town. In 1917, the Court of Queensland dismissed the current Town Council (following great disagreements and even violence amongst the councillors) and Mr Sands was the town’s highest official until an election four months later.
|Address:||241 Tingal Road, Former Shire Clerks Cottage, Wynnum, 4178|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.441111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||September-1997|