William Collard Smith Print Page
A plaque commemorates Lieutenant-Colonel William Collard Smith who was a councillor and mayor of Ballarat.
Smith's pride in Ballarat was matched by the community's acceptance of him as its most popular public figure. He was a life patron of the Ballarat Imperial Football Club, an office-bearer of many other sporting clubs, prominent in the Old Colonists' Association and, from its inception, marshal of the important eight-hour procession.
Commonly called 'The Major', he was a captain in the Ballarat Rifle Rangers in 1861, major in 1872 and retired in 1884 as an honorary lieutenant-colonel. A member of the Ballarat City Council in 1870-99, he was mayor in 1874-75 and 1887-88.
|Address:||225 Sturt Street, Ballarat Town Hall, Ballarat, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.562128|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
Lt. Col. William Collard Smith, M.L.A. Ballaarat (sic) West.
Member of the Municipal Council of Ballaarat from 1856 until 1892, Chairman 1860-1. Mayor 1874 & 1887.
Obit 20th October 1894