Samuel Mahood Print Page
A fountain commemorates Samuel Mahood, who was Chairman of the Cue Districts Road Board. The fountain was installed inside the rotunda in 1934 and the official unveiling ceremony was held in 1935.
In the presence of a large gathering a memorial to the late Mr. S. A. Mahood. J.P. was unveiled in Cue on Saturday, May 11th. The ceremony was in the hands of Mr. A. Clarkson (chairman of the Cue Road Board) who was aided by Mrs. Clarkson and the Rev. N. F. Warlow. Mr. Clarkson, in addressing the gathering stated that when the late Mr. Mahood died, it was decided that his services to the district had been of such importance that it was the duty of his friends and the town to take some steps towards the erection of a suitable memorial. Donations were invited and a creditable sum was quickly subscribed.
This was utilised to obtain an enlarged photo of their deceased friend, for hanging in the Road Board Office, where Mr. Mahood had spent a large part of his time in the interest of the district, and to obtain a drinking fountain as a memorial to be erected in a public place where it might serve to keep green the memory of one whose time and energies were always at the disposal of his town and fellow men. Mr. Clarkson then requested Mrs. Clarkson to perform the ceremony of unveiling. The flag having been dropped aside a magnificient chrome plated drinking fountain was revealed, bearing a suitable inscription on one face turned towards the entrance to the rotunda.
Geraldton Guardian and Express (WA), 18th May 1935.
|Address:||Austin Street, Cue Rotunda, Cue, 6640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.423656|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||August -1934|
TO THE MEMORY
OF THE LATE
THE CUE DISTRICT
BY HIS MANY FRIENDS