Sir Lavington BonythonPrint Page
Plaque marks the place of the Lavington Bonython fountain and acknowledges the memory Sir Lavington Bonython (1875-1960) , a Lord Mayor of Adelaide.
The Lavington Bonython fountain commemorated the life and work of Sir John Lavington Bonython (1875–1960). The Bonython family donated it to the City of Adelaide. The Lavington Bonython fountain was installed and formally accepted by Lord Mayor James Irwin OBE on 20 November 1965. The fountain consisted of a stone basin featuring three vertical water spouts. Water flowed over the four sides of the basin, disappearing as a sheet and overflowing into a larger pool, which had three jets of water that fell obliquely into its centre. It was replaced by a water sculpture, ‘14 Pieces’, in 2005 as part of the redevelopment of North Terrace.
Bonython was elected to the Adelaide City Council in 1901 and this association spanned over fifty years. In 1907 he became an alderman and in 1912-13 was the youngest man to have become mayor of Adelaide. In 1928-30 he was Lord Mayor.
The affairs of the city that he loved, and which he seldom left, absorbed much of his public life and he became concerned with preserving the heritage, particularly the Park Lands, bequeathed to its citizens by Colonel William Light.
|Address:||North Terrace, South Australian Museum, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.921141|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|