www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Harold AlexanderPrint Page Print this page

Rose garden commemorates Harold Alexander, Town Clerk of South Melbourne 1936-1964. The diamond-shaped rose garden contains a plaque set on a concrete pitcher with inscription.

Harold Alexander was town clerk of South Melbourne from 1936 to 1964 who, according to a report in The Record after he died, “guided the destinies of his native city surely and safely”.

Alexander helped set up Australia's first Meals on Wheels service and was behind introducing social workers and maternal and child health services at the council. He lobbied successfully for the current site of the Arts Centre on St Kilda Rd to be set aside for a cultural purpose and was president of the library board that oversaw the establishment of municipal and school libraries. He also played 70 VFL games for South Melbourne between 1922 and 1926 and kicked 42 goals.

In 2017, a piece of land in front of the Emerald Hill Library was named the Harold Alexander Forecourt. 

Location

Address:Montague Street, St Vincents Gardens North, South Melbourne, 3205
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.838897
Long: 144.955518
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Front Inscription

Memorial To
Harold Alexander 
Town Clerk of South Melbourne
1936-1964

Source: RHSV, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design