Sir Thomas Henley Memorial Sunday SchoolPrint Page
The Memorial Sunday School commemorates the former Mayor of Drummoyne, Sir Thomas Henley. The Drummoyne Presbyterian Church was a beneficiary of Sir Thomas Henley`s estate. The original church (Grimm Memorial Church) became part of the Sunday School.
Sir Thomas Henley bought land at Balmain, Petersham, Five Dock and Drummoyne, building on some blocks and subdividing others for sale at £10 deposit, 6 per cent interest and repayment over five years. During the depressed 1890s he continued to buy, especially at Drummoyne, where he built Tudor House for himself. In 1898-1905 he owned the Drummoyne, West Balmain and Leichhardt Steam Ferry Co., running three ferries.
As Alderman for Drummoyne in 1898-1934 and four times mayor, and as a member of the Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage in 1902-33, Henley saw the tram-line extended to Drummoyne in 1902, its sewerage planned in 1903 and reticulation sewers laid by 1910, electricity supply introduced in 1910 and a beginning to sealing roads in 1916.
|Address:||Lyons Road & College Street, rear of Drummoyne Presbyterian Church, Drummoyne, 2047|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.852125|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|