Dr. H. J. Foley Print Page
In 1964 the park was named after Horace John Foley (1901-1989), a Glebe medical practitioner. He was a member of the Glebe Municipal Council 1934-1939, and mayor during the years 1937 and 1938. ‘Doc’ Foley’s community involvement included giving free medical treatment to the poor but in exchange he expected their loyalty in the ballot box, according to Max Solling. He was later an alderman on the City Council 1945-1950 and 1953-1956, and Leichhardt Council 1968-1971.
Max Solling, “Grandeur and Grit: a history of Glebe”,
Halstead Press, Sydney, 2007
|Address:||140 Glebe Point Road (corner of Glebe Point & Bridge Roads), Glebe , 2037|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.880105|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st March, 1964|
THE DR. H. J. FOLEY REST PARK
THIS PARK WAS NAMED IN RECOGNITION OF THE OUTSTANDING HUMANITARIAN AND CIVIC SERVICE RENDERED TO THE CITIZENS OF THE GLEBE DISTRICT AND THE CITY OF SYDNEY GENERALLY OVER A PERIOD OF THIRTY YEARS BY
DR. H.J FOLEY
A FORMER ALDERMAN OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SYDNEY AND A WELL KNOWN AND RESPECTED IDENTITY OF THE AREA
TOWN CLERK LORD MAYOR