George DonaldPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A plaque commemorates George Donald, the first Mayor of Hamilton and an active member of the Presbyterian Church who died in 1887. 

It is with regret that I have to chronicle the death of our much respected townsman and Justice of the Peace, Mr. George Donald.  Mr. George Donald was a native of Dunfermline, Scotland, and arrived in this colony about 84 years ago. Some four years later he arrived in Newcastle, and settled down here. About the year 1860 he was manager of the Co-operative Store, which business he conducted for some years. He then commenced a business of his own as general storekeeper, which he had carried on actively until some few months ago. In the year 1871 he took a prominent part in the movement to have Hamilton incorporated, and the result was that when the aldermen had been elected he was amongst them, and appointed as first Mayor of the municipality, which office he filled during his first term of three years, and after being re-elected alderman by the ratepayers, he was again voted to the office of mayor in which office he remained for two years more, thus having been mayor of Hamilton for five consecutive years. 

Not only did he take a lively interest in municipal matters, but in all public business in this town. About seven years ago he was appointed a Justice of the Peace, and in that capacity he was looked upon by all as one of the most discreet and impartial of men. He was a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church, and in fact the father of that Church in Hamilton. He was an elder, and many years ago helped to form a Sabbath school, of which he has been superintendent for many years, and until a few months ago. When in England he rendered valuable service to the Church in procuring for them from the A. A. Company the portion of land on which the new church is being now erected. He took a very active part in the erection of the church, and at the outset guaranteed to collect £200, which sum he more than succeeded in obtaining, as he collected upwards of £300, and it was a source of regret that he was absent when the foundation stone was laid.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
19 February 1887. 


Address:Tudor & Murray Streets, Scots Kirk, Presbyterian Church, Hamilton, 2303
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.924003
Long: 151.747745
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local


Front Inscription

In Memoriam

February 18th, 1887,
Aged 56 years


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design