Lady Esther Lipman-JacobsPrint Page
Lady Esther was elected as the State’s first woman Councillor in 1956 and alderman in 1969. She served as the council’s first female elected member for 22 years, and later as Deputy Lord Mayor and also Acting Lord Mayor. At first most of the members of the Council were less than delighted to have a woman as one of their number; however, her good sense, wit and sense of humour soon won them over.
During the war years, Lady Esther was (in an honorary capacity) full time Secretary of the Fighting Forces Comforts fund and a member of the Auxiliary of Women Police. She was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire for services to Community and Local Government.
Lady Esther founded the Local Government Women's Association and was also Chairman of the Parks and Gardens Committee and represented the Council on the Board of Governors of the Adelaide Festival of Arts from 1962 until 1972.
|Address:||Victoria Drive , Park 12, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.917325|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1990|
ESTHER LIPMAN GARDEN
LADY ESTHER LIPMAN JACOBS
FIRST WOMAN COUNCILLOR
ALDERMAN AND DEPUTY LORD MAYOR
OF THE CITY OF ADELAIDE