www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Councillor Arthur Harris (Harris Pavilion) Print Page Print this page

31-December-2014
31-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Tom Bird

The Pavillion was named in honour of the former mayor Councillor Arthur Harris in recognition of the services rendered by him and his wife.  Councillor Harris was Mayor of Castlemaine in 1927, 1931, 1935 and 1939.

With the assistance of borough council and Government grants, the Forward Association recently erected a pavilion on the summit of the hill in Kalimna Park to provide shelter and make the park more attractive to visitors. In recognition of the services rendered by the mayor and mayoress, the building was named the Harris Pavilion. The official opening ceremony was performed on Sunday by Mr. W. J. Whitehall, a foundation member of the Forward Association, and the pavilion was formally handed over to the citizens, the mayor (Cr. Harris) accepting it on their behalf.
Age (Melbourne), 3 April 1928. 

Location

Address:Kalimna Road, Kalimna Point, Castlemaine, 3450
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.063366
Long: 144.228927
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st April, 1928
Front Inscription

The Harris Pavilion
Opened 2nd (sic)  April 1928
Named In Honour Of
Cr. Arthur Harris
Mayor of Castlemaine
1927 - 1931 - 1935 - 1939

Erected By The
Castlemaine Progress Association

Inscription in Proximity

Australia
1788-1988

Kalimna Rotunda
The restoration of this Rotunda was undertaken by the Castlemaine Bicentennial Community Committee, the students of the Castlemaine Technical College, and the Kalimna Park Preservation Committee as an Australian Bicentennial Project 1988 with financial assistance from the City of Castlemaine and the Federal Government

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design