Sir H. G. (Paddy) BehanPrint Page
The Paddy Behan Way commemorates the services of Sir Harold Garfield (Paddy) Behan to local government and the pastoral industry from 1922 to 1979.
When Behan's father retired from the Jericho Shire Council in 1922, its members appointed 'Paddy' (as Harold was generally known) to the vacancy. In 1926 the Behans moved to Bilbah Downs, a property in the neighbouring shire of Isisford. Within weeks Paddy became a local councillor and continued to belong to the Isisford Shire Council (except for a short interval in 1936) for fifty-three years.
In 1948 Behan had promoted the establishment of the Australian Council of Local Government Associations (later the Australian Local Government Association) to represent their interests at the national level; he was a State representative on this body until 1973 and was thrice president.
Meantime, as a grazier Behan had been active in pastoral circles and constantly involved with the wool industry. He was a member of the executive and president (1962-68) of the Central and Northern Graziers' Association. Combined with his role in the L.G.A.Q., his position as a councillor (from 1944) of the United Graziers' Association of Queensland strengthened his efforts to secure State legislation for the control of animal and vegetable pests on rural lands.
|Address:||St Ann Street, Council Offices, Isisford, 4732|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -24.258913|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th October, 1981|
This Plaque Was Unveiled On 24th October 1981, By
THE HONOURABLE R.J.HINZE M.L.A.
Minister For Local Government, Main Roads And Police
To Commemorate The Naming Of The
PADDY BEHAN WAY
(The Road From Ilfracombe To Blackall)
In Appreciation Of The Outstanding Contribution Made To
Local Government And The Pastoral Industry In Australia
During The Period 1922 to 1979 By
The Late Sir H. G. Behan. K.B., C.M.G., M.B.E.
Chairman And Member Of The Isisford Shire Council 1926–1979.