Andrew McLucasPrint Page
An impressive ceremony marked the unveiling of the McLucas memorial in Wondai on Saturday afternoon last when approximately 100 citizens assembled for the occasion. In the absence of Cr. P. H. Outridge, the proceedings were presided over by Cr. Porter, who stated he had personally been associated over a period of many years with the late Cr. McLucas who had put his weight behind every movement for the advancement of the district for upwards of 30 years, and it was fitting that the district should see that his memory was fittingly commemorated. The Shire Council had sponsored the movement for its erection, and, on behalf of the council, he wished to thank all who had assisted, especially Engineers A. A. Joyce and F. Kemp, for the designing and electrical installation respectively.
Mr. J. B. Edwards, M.L.A. was present to perform the ceremony, and after being introduced by Cr. Porter, expressed pleasure at being associated with the movement perpetuating the memory of the late Cr. McLucas, with whom he had personally worked in public life for many years. Mr. McLucas had been one of the pioneers of farm settlement in Queensland, first in Fassifern district and then at Wondai. Mr. McLucas was one whose personality enabled him to work in the interests of others and the demise of a man of such stable character was a loss to the community.
Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay and Burnett Advertiser (Qld),
12 October 1935.
|Address:||Haly & Scott Streets, Wondai, 4606|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.31826|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Local|
|Monument Designer:||A.A. Joyce|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th October, 1935|
1864 - 1932
Councillor Shire of Kilkivan 1907 - 1908
Chairman Shire of Wondai 1917, 1919 - 1924, 1927 - 1930
Erected by the Citizens of the Shire of Wondai in appreciation of
his generosity and dedication to the establishment of the Wondai
Hospital in 1915 and his involvement in community affairs.