Charles Joseph La TrobePrint Page
A domed pavillion called the "Temple of the Winds" commemorates Charles Joseph La Trobe who was Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor.
La Trobe, who was also Superintendent of Port Phillip, was truly `a man of a thousand occupations,` according to Washington Irving’s book, A Tour on the Prairies. Irving apparently only knew him for a short time but in a variety of situations, including as a shipboard companion on an Atlantic crossing, in New York and Baltimore society, as a fellow tourist in America and on a month long buffalo hunt.
|Address:||Birdwood Avenue, Botanic Gardens, South Yarra , 3141|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.626689|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||William Robert Guilfoyle|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1900|
DESIGNED & ERECTED BY WILLIAM ROBERT GUILFOYLE DIRECTOR.
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THE HONORABLE CHARLES JOSEPH LATROBE. FIRST GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA WHO SELECTED THE SITE OF THE BOTANIC GARDENS