Sir Henry ParkesPrint Page
Statue commemorates the 100th anniversary of the death of Sir Henry Parkes.
The statue of Sir Henry Parkes was a memorial sculpture placed in the park in 1897 at Parkes & Hamilton Drives. It remained in Centennial Park until 1970, when it removed for storage following damage by vandals. The vandalism in fact led to a major assessment of the sculptures in the Park, and ultimately the removal for safe-keeping of any sculptures that were likely to be subject to similar attacks of vandalism.
A bronze sculpture by the sculptor Alan Somerville replaced the previous Sir Henry Parkes figure. It is located on the original sandstone pedestal. The sculpture was unveiled by then NSW Premier, the Hon Bob Carr, on 27 April 1996 to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the death of Sir Henry Parkes. A bronze commemorative plaque is located alongside the sculpture.
Sir Henry Parkes, GCMG (27 May 1815 – 27 April 1896) was an Australian statesman, the "Father of Federation." As the earliest advocate of a Federal Council of the colonies of Australia, a precursor to the Federation of Australia, he is generally considered the most prominent of the Australian Founding Fathers.
|Address:||Parkes & Hamilton Drives, Centennial Parklands, Centennial Park, 2021|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.892581|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||Alan Somerville|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th April, 1996|