Sir John Robertson K.C.M.G.Print Page
Band rotunda built in 1903 was erected as a memorial to Sir John Robertson, former Premier of New South Wales. The memorial tablet was unveiled on the Rotunda on Empire Day (24th May) 1907.
Sir John Robertson, KCMG (15 October 1816 – 8 May 1891) was an Australian politician and Premier of New South Wales on five occasions. Robertson is best remembered for land reform and in particular the Robertson Land Acts of 1861, which sought to open up the selection of Crown land and break the monopoly of the squatters. Sir John was member for Mudgee 1877-1878, and 1882 -1886.
Empire Day in Mudgee on Friday last was celebrated with the greatest enthusiasm. All the business places were closed during the afternoon, and the Government offices and public buildings were decorated with bunting, while the Union Jack floated over of the business houses. Mayor Cameron, with characteristic attention to public matters, had caused the rotunda in Robertson Park to be gaily decorated, a life-sized portrait of Sir John Robertson being arranged opposite the entrance to the rotunda enclosure. The celebrations commenced about 2 p.m., when the children of the Mudgee Public School and other public schools in the vicinity of the town, together with the Convent School children, were formed into a procession. These were led by the Mounted Police, the 2nd A.L.H., Mudgee ' F ' Company Infantry, the Fire Brigade and the Town Band. Previous to the parade through the streets of the procession, the Union Jack was hoisted, and salutes were fired by the cadets, while the children sang the National Anthem. The procession, with the band playing stirring patriotic airs, traversed Perry, Gladstone, Church and Market streets and finally gathered in Robertson Park here, during the intervals between the addresses, the memorial tablets to the Mudgee soldiers who fell in the South African War, and to Sir John Robertson, were unveiled by Mrs. G. H. Cox. The soldiers tablets were inscribed : — South African War, 1899— 1902. In Memory of Mudgee Volunteers, REGINALD BELMORE COX, HUGH TREVOR JONES, WILLIAM CROOME. Following is the inscription on the other tablet : — This Rotunda is erected as a memorial to the late Sir John Robertson, K.C.M.G., Premier and statesman.
Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW),
30 May 1907.
|Address:||Market & Perry Streets, Robertson Park, Mudgee, 2850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.591042|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1903|
This Rotunda is erected as a memorial to
the late SIR JOHN ROBERTSON K.C.M.G
Premier and Statesman.
This park was originally Market Square and has long been the focus of public meetings and celebrations. In 1846 it was the venue of Mudgee Agricultural Society's first show. Covering approximately 4 acres it was dedicated as a reserve for recreation. In 1891 the name was changed to Robertson Park , after Sir John Robertson, member for Mudgee and Premier of New South Wales. The rotunda was built in 1903, in honour of Sir John Robertson and those who died in service in the Boer War.
Australian Foundation for Culture & Humanities
A 175 COMMEMORATION PROJECT 1822 - 1997