John MacFarlanePrint Page
A monument commemorates former Ipswich Mayor and member of Parliament John MacFarlane.
John Macfarlane was an Alderman of Ipswich City Council in 1873-1875, 1877-1878 and Mayor of Ipswich in 1876. He was a member of Parliament from 1877-1894. He was also a member of a group who established the Woollen Mill in 1875 of which he became a Director; and a member of the Ipswich Hospital Board.
The monument erected to the memory of the late Mr. John Macfarlane, M.L.A., in the Queen's Park, was unveiled by Mr. A. Barlow, Minister for Lands, on Saturday afternoon last. Amongst those present were: The Revs. Jos. Walker, P Robertson and T. Jones, Messrs. Lewis Thomas, James Willkinson, J. M.Cross, M.M.L.A., the Mayor (Ald. R. Tallon) Ald. H. E. Wyman (chairman of the memorial committee), Jos. Gore, R. McGill, G. H. Shillito, T. Towell, W. Tatham, Jos. Hargreaves, J. Pickard, and E. Greenway (the designer of the monument). Speeches were delivered by Ald. Wyman, Mr. A. H. Barlow, the Mayor, the Rev. Jos. Walker and Mr. J. Gore, each paying a tribute to the work done by the deceased on behalf of the district.
Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser (Qld),
5 March 1895.
|Address:||Queen Victoria Parade, Queens Park, Ipswich, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.616674|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Manufacturer:||E Greenway|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 2nd March, 1895|