William Race AllisonPrint Page
Monument commemorates landowner and politician William Race Allison (1812-1865)
William Race Allison`s most important work was as a politician. After the Patriotic Six walked out of the Legislative Council, he was nominated in April 1846 by Lieutenant-Governor Wilmot as 'a gentleman of education and character, and fully competent to discharge the duties of a Legislative Councillor with honour to himself and advantage to the public'. In 1856 at the first election under responsible government he easily won the seat for Campbell Town in the House of Assembly, and in 1861 held it unopposed.
The committee, and their energetic secretary, Mr. Alfred Nicholas, appointed to manage the fund formed by voluntary shilling subscriptions, for the erection of a monument to our late respected member, W. Race Allison, Esq., have well performed their duty. They have erected a handsome and suitable monument in St.George's Church-Yard, just by the entrance from Hampden Road. It is just like the man it is intended to commemorate, plain and unpretending, yet conspicuous to all. It consists of an obelisk cut in Kangaroo Point freestone, resting upon a basis of the same material, and bearing the following inscription :-"To the memory of William Race Allison, who was a member of the Legislative Council and House of Assembly of this colony for 20 years, and died September 20th, 1865, aged 53 years. He had done his duty. This monument is erected by public subscription, limited to 1s as a token of respect. Forget not the faithful dead." The obelisk is 16ft. 6in. in height, exclusive of the foundation, and was erected by Mr. Gillen. The contractor's price for the work was £88, and a further sum of £9 was paid for the purchase of the ground on which the monument is erected. The structure as a whole is very graceful, and the workmanship highly creditable."
The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston) 13th June 1866, Launceston Examiner, 13th June 1867.
Following representations made by the Treasurer (Mr.Dwyer-Gray) to the City Council, the monument to Mr. William Race Allison has been removed from the disused cemetery in Albuera St. and re-erected in St.Davids Park. The monument was in a state of disrepair, but it has been renovated and makes an interesting addition to those already in the park. It was erected originally by public subscription in appreciation of the services Mr. Allison rendered the State.
The Mercury (Hobart), 16th November 1940.
|Address:||Davey Street, St Davids Park, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.885853|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Gillen|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||Circa 1866|
To the Memory of WILLIAM RACE ALLISON Who was a Member of the Legislative Council and House of Assembly of this Colony for 20 years. Died September 26th 1865 Aged 53 years.
He did his duty.
This Monument is Erected by Public Subscription Limited to One Shilling as a Token of Respect
Forget not the Faithful Dead.