C. Y. O`ConnorPrint Page
The memorial was constructed in 1911 to commemorate Charles Yelverton O`Connor, the engineer of the Fremantle Harbour and the Goldfields Water Supply Scheme (GWSS).
The memorial commemorates the significant achievements of O`Connor, the engineer of some crucial developments in Western Australia`s history, including the design and construction of the 566km Gold Water Supply Scheme from Mundaring to Kalgoorlie, the Fremantle harbour and all railways in WA between 1891-1902. In 1902 he rode his horse into the sea and shot himself.
As it has been decided to erect a permanent memorial to the late C. Y. O Connor, whose memory will ever be associated with the huge scheme which supplied the Eastern Goldfields with water, we trust that the movement will be "made worthy of the subject". The proposal is to have a bronze statue of the eminent engineer placed on some suitable site overlooking Fremantle Harbor, and to be effective the statue should be an imposing one. This will necessitate a considerable fund, and with a view to making the matter as national as possible, shilling subscriptions are invited. Sir John Forrest offered to subscribe £50 if ten other similar donations were forthcoming, and already half of the number have been promised. Subscriptions may be sent direct to Mr. M. E. Pye, honorary secretary to the fund. Fremantle, or through the proprietors of the "West Australian " and other newspapers.
Sunday Times (Perth), 16th August 1908.
|Address:||1 Cliff Street, Victoria Square, Fremantle, 6160|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.053889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||Pietro Porcelli|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 23rd June, 1911|
This memorial was erected by the people of Western Australia in grateful memory of the public services of Charles Yelverton O`Connor C.M.G. M.Inst.C.E., Engineer-in-Chief 1891 to 1902. He designed and constructed the Fremantle Harbour, the Goldfields Water Supply from Mundaring to Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie. A distance of 352 miles and all railways and other public works throughout Western Australia during the above period.