David Bews Print Page
A monument, originally erected as a memorial fountain, commemorates David Bews M.P (Member of Parliament), a local man who was responsible for bringing reticulated water to Wallaroo from the Beetaloo Reservoir in 1890. The foundation stone which was laid in 1895 contained a brief record of his life.
In 1878 David Bews became a member of the Wallaroo Council. He was Mayor of Wallaroo from 1881 to 1884. In 1885 he was elected to South Australian Parliament as the member for Wallaroo. In both 1887 and 1890 he was re-elected - heading the poll at both elections. In 1890 Bews became the Minister of Education. In January 1891, Bews was in Melbourne on his way to a postal conference in Sydney, when he died. He was extremely popular on the Yorke Peninsula and there was a large turnout at his funeral.
The fountain, erected by public subscription in memory of the late Hon. David Bews, was unveiled today, the ceremony being performed by the Premier in the presence of the members of the corporation and a large crowd of townspeople and children. Mr. James Malcolm, on behalf of the subscribers presented the fountain to the town, and it was accepted by the Mayor.
South Australian Register (Adelaide), 25 January 1896.
|Address:||Jetty Road & Emu Street, Centenary Square, Wallaroo, 5556|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.929966|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||T. R. Heath (Wallaroo)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 24th January, 1896|
This fountain was erected by the public as a memorial of the late Hon. David Bews, in recognition of his valuable services to the district of Wallaroo , and as an evidence of the esteem in which he was held.