Colonel William LightPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the site of Colonel William Light`s cottage. The cottage was demolished in 1926 to make way for a factory and stood on the corner of Cawthorne and Winwood Streets which is now the site of an industrial complex. The plaque can be seen on the walls of one of the factory buildings.
Colonel William Light was the Colony`s first Surveyor-General and was given sole responsibility for selecting the site of Adelaide and preparing the City Plan in 1836-37, for which he has been much praised. He also designed the layout of main roads and subdivision into `sections` of much of the present metropolitan area.
It was decided by members of Adelaide City Council at their meeting this afternoon to accept the invitation of Thebarton Council to attend the unveiling on Saturday afternoon of a memorial tablet to commemorate the site on which was erected the home of Col. Light at Thebarton.
News (Adelaide, SA), 1 August 1927.
A memorial tablet in memory of Colonel Light, who surveyed the City of Adelaide, was unveiled on Saturday on the site of his cottage in Cawthorne-street, Southwark. Mr. H. S. Hatwell (Mayor of Thebarton), performed the ceremony.
The Advertiser, 8th August 1927.
|Address:||Cawthorne Street, Thebarton, 5031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.911796|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th August, 1927|
Near This Spot Stood "THEBARTON COTTAGE",
The Old Home Of COLONEL WILLIAM LIGHT,
The First SURVEYOR GENERAL Of The State And FOUNDER of ADELAIDE.
Erected By Order Of The Council June 1927
C.E.Wyett, Town Clerk