Carlo CataniPrint Page
Commemorates the Italian born civil engineer who was responsible for the development of Alexandra Gardens and Alexandra Avenue.
After arriving in Australia in 1876 he joined the Department of Lands and Survey as a draftsman who was promoted in time to engineer. Catani was concerned with the widening and improvement of the River Yarra upstream from Princes Bridge, Melbourne.
Through his urging, the scope of the flood mitigation programme was greatly enlarged. Work began in August 1896 and by the winter of 1897 he began to plant elms, oaks and poplars along the left bank and the newly formed Alexandra Avenue. His river works extended upstream as far as Cremorne railway bridge, and included the road bridge at Anderson Street. The laying out and planting of the Alexandra Gardens was executed by the Public Works Department under Catani's direction.
|Address:||St Kilda Road, Alexandra Gardens, Capital City Trail, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.820522|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
In memory of Carlo Catani (1852-1918), Italian born civil engineer, who superintended the development of the Yarra River banks upstream from Prince`s Bridge, and the formation of Alexandra Avenue and the Alexandra Gardens.