James BlairPrint Page
Railing from the old Mechanics Institute erected in 1899 to commemorate James Blair, pioneer Police Magistrate at Portland and Crown Lands Commissioner.
James Blair was appointed Police Magistrate in Portland on 18 August 1840 and arrived in October 1840. He was later appointed magistrate for Bourke as well as Portland. During his 26 years as magistrate he held other official positions including deputy sheriff and immigration agent. He was also director of the Union Bank and the Bank of Victoria and patron of many charities.
|Address:||Blair Street, Harrow, 3317|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.158889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
This railing was erected in memory of James Blair of `Clunie`, 1899". Blair was appointed Police Magistrate in Portland in 1840 and was Commissioner of Crown Lands 1843-1846. In 1844 he purchased `Clunie` near Harrow on the Glenelg River.