www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lachlan MacquariePrint Page Print this page

24-February-2014
24-February-2014
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Statue commemorates Lachlan Macquarie, a former Governor of New South Wales. The statue was commissioned during the bicentenary celebrations in 1994 of European settlement in the Hawkesbury. It was sponsored by Hawkesbury Gazette, Hawkesbury Courier and their parent company Rural Press Ltd.

As part of the Macquarie 2010 celebrations, Council commissioned Franco and Dennis Colussi to create a Mosaic Art Sculpture around the Governor Macquarie Statue in McQuade Park.

The central mosaic depicts landmarks in each of the five Macquarie towns to acknowledge the 200 years since their naming in December 1810: St Matthews Anglican Church, Windsor; Mountain View, Richmond; Macquarie School House, Wilberforce; Mulgrave Place and Bathurst Street, Pitt Town; and Christchurch Anglican Church, Castlereagh.

A separate mosaic located at the entrance to the statue features an artistic impression of the Elizabeth Macquarie Iris.

The combination of the mosaic with the statue is a fitting acknowledgement of the partnership between Elizabeth and Lachlan Macquarie, who together strived to work for the betterment of the state and the Hawkesbury.

Lachlan Macquarie CB (31 January 1762 – 1 July 1824) was a British military officer and colonial administrator. He served as the last autocratic Governor of New South Wales, Australia from 1810 to 1821 and had a leading role in the social, economic and architectural development of the colony.

He is considered by some historians to have had a crucial influence on the transition of New South Wales from a penal colony to a free settlement and therefore to have played a major role in the shaping of Australian society in the early nineteenth century. An inscription on his tomb in Scotland describes him as "The Father of Australia".

Location

Address:Moses Street, McQuade Park, Windsor, 2756
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.609523
Long: 150.812657
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Designer:Frederic Marie René Chepeaux (statue) Franco and Dennis Colussi (mosaic art sculpture)
Link:http://adb.anu.edu.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st October, 1994
Front Inscription

1794-1994
HAWKESBURY 200

MAJOR GENERAL
LACHLAN MACQUARIE
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
1810 - 1821

PLANNER AND FOUNDER IN 1810 OF THE
MACQUARIE TOWNS OF WINDSOR,
RICHMOND, WILBERFORCE, PITT TOWN AND
CASTLEREAGH.

THE HONEST, SOBER AND INDUSTRIOUS
INHABITANT, WHETHER FREE SETTLER OR
CONVICT WILL EVER FIND IN ME A FRIEND AND
PROTECTOR.

THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED BY THE
CITIZENS OF HAWKESBURY CITY

SPONSORED BY THE HAWKESBURY GAZETTE
AND THE HAWKESBURY COURIER AND THEIR
PARENT COMPANY RURAL PRESS LIMITED IN
APPRECIATION OF THE SUPPORT OF THE
PEOPLE OF THE HAWKESBURY.

UNVEILED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY
REAR ADMIRAL PETER SINCLAIR AC.
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
1 OCTOBER 1994

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design