Sir John RobertsonPrint Page
Obelisk erected by public subscription commemorates Land Reformer, Politician and Premier. Robertson was author of the Land Act of 1861.
Sir John Robertson, KCMG (15 October 1816 – 8 May 1891) was an Australian politician and Premier of New South Wales on five occasions. Robertson is best remembered for land reform and in particular the Robertson Land Acts of 1861, which sought to open up the selection of Crown land and break the monopoly of the squatters.
The ceremony of unveiling a life-sized bronze statue of the late Sir John Robertson, which has been subscribed to and erected by the friends and admirers of the deceased patriot and statesman close to the Macquarie street entrance to the Botanic Gardons, took place on Saturday in the presence of several thousand spectators. In addition to the statue, the committee of the fund had erected over the grave of the departed one a trachyte memorial, which was entirely carried out by Messrs. Loveridge and Hudson. Both the statue and memorial at Watson's Bay were designed by Mr. J. Horbury Hunt, who personally supervised the carrying out of both memorials.
Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW) 28th September 1904
|Address:||Old South Head Road, South Head Cemetery, Presbyterian Section, Vaucluse, 2030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||J Horbury Hunt (designer)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs Loveridge & Hudson|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1904|