www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lieutenant Colonel George BarneyPrint Page Print this page

Lieutenant George Barney RE
Lieutenant George Barney RE

Photographs supplied by Peter F Wiliams / Russell Byers

A monument commemorates the first Colonial Engineer, Lieutenant Colonel George Barney of the Royal Engineers. The monument consists of a vertical rectangular slab of stone, standing asymmetrically on a stone slab plinth. The insignia of the Royal Engineers is on one side of the slab, and of the Royal Australian Engineers on the other. On the main face is a circular bronze high relief bust of Barney which was sculpted by Denis Adams

George Barney was the first Colonial Engineer. He was 44 and had served in the Royal Engineers for 26 years having seen extensive military service when he arrived in Sydney 1835. During his term in office he was responsible for many fortifications as well as being active in the public life of the colony. He was also a member of the New South Wales Legislative Council.

Location

Address:George Street North & Argyle Street, Barney and Bligh Reseve, The Rocks, 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.859214
Long: 151.209064
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Designer:Denis Adams
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 19th November, 1979
Front Inscription

LIEUTENANT COLONEL GEORGE BARNEY R.E

COMMANDING ROYAL ENGINEERS            1835-1843
COLONIAL ENGINEER                                   1835- 1844
SUPERINTENDENT NORTH AUSTRALIA      1846-1847
CHIEF COMMISSIONER CROWN LANDS     1849-1855
MEMBER LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL                 1851-1856
SURVEYOR GENERAL                                   1855-1859

During His Term Of Office Was Responsible For Fortifications Maritime Building And Road Works Constructed In The Colony Of New South Wales

Among The More Important Were :
Fortifications at Middle, South, Bradleys and Georges Heads Dawes Point Battery And Fort Denison, Circular Quay, Customs House, Garrison Church, Newcastle Breakwater, Admiralty House New Government House And Victoria Barracks, From Whence Came These Stones. 

Inscription in Proximity

This monument was erected by the ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS and the SYDNEY COVE REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY

With The Generous Support Of The Corps Of Royal Engineers 
The Institution Of Engineers, Australia
The Maritime Services Board Of New South Wales
The 7th Division Of Engineers Association
The Engineers Sub-Branch RSL
Institution of Surveyors Australia And Individual Benefactors

And Unveiled By the HONOURABLE PAUL LANDA LLB MLC  Minister For Planning And Environment On 19th November 1979

David McLeish Chairman SCDA D O Magee Director BCRA

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design