Sir John RobertsonPrint Page
Bronze statue of the politician Sir John Robertson who, as Lands Minister, approved the opening of the Domain at night to pedestrians in 1860. The statue, paid for by public subscription, was unveiled in 1904.
Robertson was a supporter of responsible government for the colony with a keen interest in land. He was elected a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly for the seats of Phillip, Brisbane and Bligh (1856-1859), The Upper Hunter (1859-1861), Shoalhaven (1862-1864), West Sydney (1864-1866), The Clarence (1866-1869), West Sydney (1869-1877), East Macquarie (1877-1878), and Mudgee (1877-1878, 1882-1886). He was appointed a member of the New South Wales Legislative Council (1861, 1878-1881). He held a number of ministries and was Premier and Colonial Secretary on four separate occasions (1860-1861,1875-1877, 1877, 1885-1886).
The ceremony of unveiling a life-sized bronze statue of the late Sir John Robertson, which has been subscribed to and erected by the friends and admirers of the deceased patriot and statesman close to the Macquarie street entrance to the Botanic Gardens, took place on Saturday in the presence of several thousand spectators. The memorial was executed by Mr. Jas. White in his Annandale studio, the trachyte pedestal upon which it stands having been supplied by Messrs. Loveridge and Hudson. It bears the inscription, "Sir John Robertson, K.C.M.G., Patriot, Statesman, Prime Minister of New South Wales. 1817-1891." In addition to the statue, the committee of the fund had erected over the grave of the departed one a trachyte memorial, which was entirely carried out by Messrs. Loveridge and Hudson. Both the statue and memorial at Watson's Bay were designed by Mr. J. Horbury Hunt, who personally supervised the carrying out of both memorials. Mrs. F. R. Wilshire, a daughter of the late statesman unveiled the statue.
Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW) 28th September 1904.
|Address:||Art Gallery Road, The Domain, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.868134|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||Mr Jas. White (Sculptor) , Mr J. Horbury Hunt (designer)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs Loveridge & Hudson (pedestal)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th September, 1904|
SIR JOHN ROBERTSON
K. C. M. G.