www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir James Martin (Martin Place)Print Page Print this page

Sir James Martin : 17-December-2014
Sir James Martin : 17-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / John Huth

A bronze relief sculpture and plaque commemorate Sir James Martin, who was three times premier of New South Wales between 1863 and 1872, and Chief Justice Of New South Wales 1873 to 1876 after whom Martin Place was named.

The plaque is mounted on a high pillar faced with marble with a bronze relief medallion portrait head of Martin sculpted by Thomas Woolner in 1854. 

Location

Address:Martin Place, Sydney, 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.867838
Long: 151.211423
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Approx. Event Start Date:1863
Approx. Event End Date:1886
Monument Designer:Thomas Woolner
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 7th September, 1977
Front Inscription

Martin Place Was Named
In Honour Of
Sir James Martin Q.C. (1820-1886)
Three Times Premier Of
New South Wales
Between 1863 - 1872
And Chief Justice Of
New South Wales 1873 - 1886
 

Back Inscription

MARTIN PLACE 
THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SYDNEY

THE SECTION OF MARTIN PLACE  
BETWEEN MACQUARIE STREET 
AND PHILLIP STREET  
WAS OPENED BY  
THE RT. HON. LORD MAYOR OF SYDNEY 
ALDERMAN LEO PORT M.B.E.  
ON 7 SEPTEMBER 1977

MARTIN PLACE SUB-COMMITTEE
ALD. ALAN BISHOP - CHAIRMAN
ALD. ANDREW BRIGER A.M.
ALD. PETER LENEY
L.P.CARTER - TOWN CLERK
J.W.LINDSAY -CITY ENGINEER
CLARK GAZZARD PTY. LTD. - ARCHITECTS




 

Source: H, ADB, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design