James LaidleyPrint Page
A plaque commemorates James Laidley, who was the Deputy Commissary General and prominent member of colonial society. He held the position of Deputy Commisioner from 1827 until his death in 1835.
He took charge of the commissariat in a time of deepening commercial and financial crisis. He was soon involved in local newspaper politics and on 25 July 1827 the Sydney Gazette accused the Australian of 'mawkish wheedling' to win his favour. He also made an impression on colonial society and was elected to the council of the Agricultural and Horticultural Society in October 1827, was conspicuous in attendance at social functions and in contributing to charitable causes, and became a foundation member of the Australian Racing Club in 1828.
|Address:||173 King Street, St. James Anglican Church. North wall No 75, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.869486|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
To The Memory Of
James Laidley Esquire,
Deputy Commissary General
Who Departed This Life At Sydney
On The 30th August 1835
Aged 49 years.
This Tablet Is Erected By The Commissariat
Department Serving In New South Wales
As A Token Of Their Esteem And Regard.