Governor Lachlan MacquariePrint Page
A sculpture commemorates the former Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie. The statue was donated by FAI Insurances in memory of Mr. R.S. Adler.
There was a public uproar after the statue was removed and discovered underground a tarpaulin in the Parliament House underground car park in December 2009. The statue was relocated to its present spot outside the Mint Building on Macquarie Street on Saturday 20th November 2010.
Lachlan Macquarie was a British military officer and colonial administrator. He served as the last autocratic Governor of New South Wales, Australia from 1810 to 1821 and had a leading role in the social, economic and architectural development of the colony. He is considered by some historians to have had a crucial influence on the transition of New South Wales from a penal colony to a free settlement and therefore to have played a major role in the shaping of Australian society in the early nineteenth century. An inscription on his tomb in Scotland describes him as "The Father of Australia".
|Address:||10 Macquarie Street, Sydney Mint Building, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.868981|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1810|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1822|
|Monument Designer:||John Dowie|
|Monument Manufacturer:||F.J and I Lemon Foundry (Melbourne)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-1998|
GOVERNOR LACHLAN MACQUARIE
This Statue Was Donated By
FAI Insurances Limited In Memory Of
Mr. L. J. Adler, unveiled by Mr. A. S. Adler
LACHLAN MACQUARIE (1762-1824)
Born in Scotland on 31 January 1762, Macquarie joined the army at age 14.
After serving in America, Asia, Egypt, and England he was sent to NSW with the 73rd regiment to replace the mutinous NSW Corps, reaching Sydney late in 1809. Over the next 12 years he reformed the administration, legal and convict systems, commerce and agriculture, opened up the interior of NSW, encouraged former convicts (emancipists) to fully participate in society and greatly expanded settlement.
His public works, which included some 250 public buildings, roads and bridges, laid a solid foundation for the colony`s social anbd economic development. The historic core of the NSW Parliament House is part of the Macquarie built first General Hospital which was completed in 1816.
Macquarie died in London in 1824. His tomb on the island of Mull is now administered by the National Trust of Australia. The last of NSW`s autocratic Governors, Macquarie`s achievements were outstanding and his name remains one of the most commemorated in Australia.