www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Governor Arthur PhillipPrint Page Print this page

13-August-2011
13-August-2011

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / Sandra Brown

Statue commemorates Captain Arthur Phillip who was the first governor of New South Wales from 1788-1792.

The statue of Captain Phillip stands at the top of a rectangular marble pedestal which contains three bronze reliefs of Justice, Patriotism and Education. This pedestal is flanked by the reclining bronze figures of Neptune, Agriculture, Cyclops and Commerce. Supporting this are paired dolphins separated by four marble consoles embellished with bronze plaques of Aboriginal people. Four giant marble clam shells surmounted by four bronze prows of ships feed white marble basins.

The statue was unveiled by Lord Hampden on the 22nd June 1897 on the celebration of the 60th year of the reign of Queen Victoria. The sculpture was commissioned by Sir Henry Parkes as part of the 1888 Centennial celebrations and completed in 1897.

 

Location

Address:Mrs Macquaries Road, Royal Botanic Gardens, near Macquarie Street, Sydney, 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.864903
Long: 151.213377
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Designer:Achille Simonetti

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 22nd June, 1897
Front Inscription

CAPTAIN ARTHUR PHILLIP R.N.
First Governor of New South Wales
             1788 -1792
This Monument Was Unveiled By 
The Rt. Hon:Viscount Hampden, Nineteenth Governor 
On the 22nd June 1897
That Being The Date Of The Celebration Of The Completion Of The 
Sixtieth Year Of The Reign Of  
HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design