Captain Arthur Phillip Print Page
A bronze bust donated by Sir Edward Hallstrom on the shore of Sydney Cove where Phillip landed with the First Fleet commemorates Captain Arthur Phillip, the first Governor of New South Wales.
Originally unveiled in 1954, the bust was relocated to First Government House Place outside the Museum of Sydney and unveiled on the 28th August 2014 to commemorate the bicentenary of the death of Admiral Arthur Phillip.
In October 1786, Captain Phillip was appointed captain of the Sirius and governor-elect of New South Wales. Great Britain was no longer able to send convicts to America, the jails were full, and it was decided to send them to New South Wales. On 13 May 1787 the fleet of 11 ships set sail. The leading ship reached Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 and two days later the remainder arrived. A few hours stay satisfied Phillip that the site was not suitable, it was decided to go on to Port Jackson, and on 26 January some of the marines and convicts were landed.
|Address:||Bridge Street , First Government House Place, Museum of Sydney , Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.863674|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Event STart Date:||26-January-1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||26-January-1788|
|Monument Designer:||Jean Hill|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 14th July, 1954|
Captain Arthur Phillip R.N.
In Command Of The First Fleet
Landed On The Shore Of This Cove
On January 26, 1788
And Established The First British
Settlement In Australia.
On February 7, 1788
The Royal Commission Was Read
Proclaiming Captain Phillip
As Captain-General And
New South Wales
R. A. H. S.
This memorial, originally sited in front of the former Maritime Services building in The Rocks, was first unveiled in 1954 by His Excellency the Governor Lieutenant-General Sir John Northcott KCMG KCVO CB. It was relocated to First Government House Place with the generous support of Friends of the First Government House Site, the Kathleen Hooke Memorial Trust and the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority. On 28th August 2014 it was unveiled by Her Excellency Professor the Honourable Dame Marie Bashir AD CVO, Governor of New South Wales, to commemorate the bicentenary of the death of Admiral Arthur Phillip RN, first Governor of New South Wales.
CAPTAIN ARTHUR PHILLIP R.N.
THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY
THE MARITIME SERVICES BOARD OF N.S.W.
IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
THE BUST OF CAPTAIN PHILLIP WAS
SCULPTURED BY MRS. JEAN HILL,
DAUGHTER OF SIR EDWARD HALLSTROM,
THROUGH WHOSE GENEROSITY THE BUST