Captain John HunterPrint Page
Portrait Bust commemorates Captain John Hunter, former Governor of New South Wales, after whom the Hunter Valley was named.
Hunter was captain of the Sirius in the First Fleet which landed in Australia in 1788. He was named Governor of New South Wales in 1795.
|Address:||Kelly Street (New England Highway) , Elizabeth Park, Scone, 2337|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.046111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1993|
CAPTAIN JOHN HUNTER, R.N.
Born 29 August, 1737 At Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Captain of the Flagship H.M.S. Sirius in the
First Fleet’s voyage to Sydney in 1788.
Returned to England from east to west and on his return
to Sydney in 1795 on the “Reliance”, became the first
ever to circumnavigate the world from east to west.
2nd Governor of the N.S.W. colony 1795-1800.
As Governor of N.S.W. he established law reforms
that are still in place today, including trial by jury.
Captain Hunter was responsible for naming Newcastle in 1797
when coal deposits were first discovered.
THE HUNTER RIVER AND ITS VALLEY WERE NAMED IN HIS HONOUR