Henry ParkesPrint Page
Bust of Sir Henry Parkes, Father of Federation, adorned an ambitious residential estate known as "Environa" on the outskirts of Canberra. Now kept by descendant on the estate which is private property.
In 1871 Parkes returned as the Member for Mudgee and so began the golden age of his political career. He was an able speaker, somewhat of an actor and his long white hair and flowing beard gave him an apostolic look. During this period, he introduced the Public Instruction Act which abolished state aid for denominational schools . Parkes' Ministry is best remembered for his fiery and impassioned support for the Federation of Australian Colonies, making his famous speech at the School of Arts, Tenterfield on 24 October 1889.
|Address:||Environa, Fraser Park, south of Tralee raceway at entrance to property, Queanbeyan, 2620|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.401667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||Giovanni Fontana|