John McLeriePrint Page
A monument erected over the grave commemorates soldier and policeman, John McLerie.
On 24 September 1849 John McLerie became the principal gaoler in Sydney and, after his retirement from the army, superintendent of police on 1 October 1850. The Sydney police were inadequate in numbers and training and their reputation had been tarnished by the removal of several of their former heads after much public scandal.
In Sydney gangs of hooligans roamed the streets at will and on 1 January 1851, the police had failed to quell a serious riot. A select committee of the Legislative Council recommended a thorough reorganization of the police. The Police Regulation Act unified the force under an Inspector-General and McLerie, who had already improved the Sydney police, was appointed provincial inspector for the city and suburbs of Sydney.
|Address:||Church & Lennox Streets, Camperdown Cemetery, Newtown, 2042|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.894722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||James Barnett|