John GilliesPrint Page
Gates commemorate parliamentarian John Gillies, who was a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
John Gillies was first elected to Parliament for the constituency of West Maitland in 1891 and was returned with very large majorities at eight successive elections.
Prior to his election to Parliament, in 1886 he was elected an Alderman for West Maitland Council, securing the greatest number of votes ever, at that time, recorded in Maitland at the regular Annual Elections. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1882. He was a trustee of the Great Northern Permanent Building Society and of the Government Savings Bank. In 1888 he was chosen Mayor.
WEST MAITLAND, Saturday. The John Gillies memorial gates, erected at the Elgin-street entrance to Maitland Park, by public subscription, in memory of the late member for Maitland, were officially opened this afternoon by the Mayoress, Mrs. H. W. Fry. The gates are of iron and of ornamental design, with massive stone pillars, on which is the inscription:-"Erected to the memory of John Gillies, M.L.A., 1891-1911." The total cost of the gates and fencing was £800.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 20 December 1920.
|Address:||Walker & Elgin Streets, Maitland Park , Maitland, 2320|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.739671|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 18th December, 1920|
AS A MEMORIAL
— TO —
JOHN GILLIES MLA
1891 - 1911.