www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Governor Arthur PhillipPrint Page Print this page

14-January-2015
14-January-2015

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

A life sized bronze bust of Arthur Phillip on plinth of concrete and brick with 2 bronze plaques in a courtyard was erected as part as a Bicentennail project in 1988.  The bricks came from the ruins of Phillip’s home in England.

Arthur Phillip, Royal Navy (11 October 1738 – 31 August 1814) was a British admiral and colonial administrator. Phillip was appointed Governor of New South Wales, the first European colony on the Australian continent,  and was the founder of the site which is now the city of Sydney. 

The First Fleet left England on 13 May 1787 and arrived at Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 after a voyage whose success again owed much to Phillip's care. The original site proved unsuited to settlement. Three days later Phillip discovered an appropriate spot at Port Jackson and on 26 January 1788 landing operations began there.

 

Location

Address:Pacific Highway , Heritage Square, Gordon, 2072
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.756594
Long: 151.153183
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Designer:Victor Cusack
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

ARTHUR PHILLIP R.N. (1738-1814)
APPOINTED AUSTRALIA’S FIRST “CAPTAIN GENERAL AND GOVERNOR-IN-CHIEF OVER HIS MAJESTY’S TERRITORY OF NEW SOUTH WALES”.THIS VISIONARY AND COMPASSIONATE MAN OF TALENT WAS ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SUCCESSFUL LEADERSHIP AND ARRIVAL OF THE “FIRST FLEET”, ARRIVING IN AUSTRALIA FROM ENGLAND WITH ELEVEN SHIPS AND 1350 PEOPLE, A FEAT WITHOUT PARALLEL IN HISTORY AT THAT TIME. HE WAS APPOINTED AN “ADMIRAL OF THE BLUE” ON HIS ULTIMATE RETURN TO ENGLAND.

MAYOR - ALDERMAN RICHARD LENNON
CHAIRMAN - BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE ALDERMAN J.A. HALL
TOWN CLERK - W.I.TAYLOR SCULPTOR - VICTOR CUSACK - 1988

(lower plaque)

THESE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY BRICKS
CAME FROM THE RUIN OF 
CAPTAIN ARTHUR PHILLIP’S HOME 
AT VERNALS FARM, LYNDHURST, 
HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
THEY WERE PRESENTED BY 
MR. & MRS G.L. COTTEE, OF PYMBLE
APRIL, 1988.

 

Source: MA,ACPH,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design