Thomas MoorePrint Page
Plaque commemorates Thomas Moore and marks the site of Moore`s house, Moorebank where Governor and Mrs Macquarie stayed on their first tour of inspection of the interior of the colony. The original plaque unveiled in 1960 was replaced in 1985.
In 1796 Moore was appointed master boatbuilder by Governor John Hunter. He was the recipient of numerous land grants, including Moorebank in the Liverpool district, which was named after him. He was appointed magistrate of the district in 1810.
Moore was one of the founding directors of the Bank of New South Wales, now known as Westpac Banking Corporation. Moore died in 1840. In his will he left a substantial portion of his estate for the establishment of a college for the education of men of "the Protestant persuasion". The college, now known as Moore Theological College was opened on 1 March 1856.
|Address:||Whelan Avenue, Thomas Moore Park, Chipping Norton, 2170|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.924282|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|