Joseph SmithPrint Page
A standard lamp commemorates the services of Joseph Smith to the Renmark Irrigation Trust
The Renmark Irrigation Trust, established by statute in 1893, was annually re-elected by special franchise granted to ratepayers. The Trust is responsible for water supply and irrigation in the Renmark Irrigation District, describe in its founding statute as `to facilitate the putting into operation of the water rights` to which ratepayers were entitled under the Chaffey Brothers Act of 1887, to which they had been denied since the Chaffey Brother`s company went into liquidation (Renmark Jubilee,p10) .
The Trust gradually acquired loans and powers to take possession on land and lease it to cover arrears of rates, to improve the irrigation works, and to have all the powers of a District Council, servicing roads, health and water to the local area. Mr. J. Price was the Trust`s first secretary followed by Mr.A. Roper who served for 30 years, while Joseph Smith was a foundation member and the Trust Chairman between 1899-1903, 1910-1913 and 1917-1921.
At the time the Renmark Irrigation Trust erected light standards at the entrance to its offices, it was intended that by some means these should be designed to commemorate the public services of former officer bearers. Speaking at the annual meeting of ratepayers held recently Mr. P. H Basey moved a recommendation to the board that suitable plates be attached to commemorate the splendid services of Mr. J. M. Smith and the late Mr. Alfred Roper. Mr. Basey paid a glowing tribute to the pioneer work of Mr. Smith, who in earlier days practically "fathered" the trust, and who by his foresight, courage and example did so much to bring Renmark through its early struggles to a comparative stability. Mr. Smith has reached a ripe age, and still takes a paternal interest in his district. It is fitting, as Mr. Basey remarked, that some public acknowledgement should be made of such admirable citizenship.
The trust is now proceeding to have these columns fitted with bronze plates in tribute of the life work of its former chairman and Mr, Roper, who for 30 years served as the public officer of that body.
Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA), 10 November 1938.
|Address:||Murray Avenue, Renmark, 5341|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.173327|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||December-1938|
This standard was erected in recognition of the public services of Joseph Mighell Smith
A prime founder of this Trust and for many years its Chairman,
To his foresight, courage and devotion this District pays constant tribute