John PantonPrint Page
Panton, the son of the Post Master of New South Wales, was a merchant and member of the New South Wales Legislative Council. Apparently, Panton decided to move his business to Ipswich following a fact finding tour of what is now south eastern Queensland. Convinced of the areas’ business potential, he established the firm ‘Panton and Co’ with premises in Brisbane Street, Ipswich in 1851. His family lived in the other end of the same building. In 1855 Panton had a large two storey, sandstone warehouse constructed on his land at Limestone Hill, and then sometime between 1855 and August 1858 ‘Claremont’ was erected.
During his time in Ipswich, Panton became a prominent citizen, serving as honorary magistrate, a pioneer of the cotton industry and a strong advocate for the separation of Queensland. He was appointed a Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly in 1866.
|Address:||124 Brisbane Street, St Paul`s Anglican Church, Ipswich, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.614238|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
In Memory of
HONOURABLE JOHN PANTON M.L.C.
Who Departed This Life
On The 2nd Day Of September 1866,
Aged 52 years.
This Tablet Is Erected By His
Numerous Friends In Token Of Their
Esteem For Him And His Bereaved Family.
For Many Years He Ably Assisted In
Promoting The Interests Of This Colony.
He Was A Useful Member Of Society,
A Kind Husband And Father, A
Sincere Friend And Will Long Dwell
In The Hearts Of Those Who Knew
Him In This Life.
God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes ;
and there shall be no more death neither sorrow nor crying;
neither shall there be any more pain.
Rev XXI. 4