Charles Joseph La TrobePrint Page
A plaque, unveiled on the centenary of his death, commemorates Charles Joseph La Trobe, the first Lieutenant-Governor of Victoria who named Queencliff in 1853.
Charles Joseph La Trobe (or Latrobe) (20 March 1801 – 4 December 1875) was appointed in 1839 superintendent of the Port Phillip District of New South Wales and after the establishment in 1851 of the colony of Victoria he became its first lieutenant-governor.
|Address:||Mercer & Hobson Streets, St George the Martyr Church , Queenscliff, 3225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.266053|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th December, 1975|
A TRIBUTE TO C.J.LA TROBE
SUPERINTENDENT PORT PHILLIP DISTRICT 1939 - 1850
FIRST LIEUTENANT - GOVERNOR VICTORIA 1851 - 1854
WHOSE COTTAGE STOOD CLOSE BY ( 1844 - 1848)
AND WHO NAMED QUEENSCLIFF ( 1853)
UNVEILED AT THE CENTENARY OF HIS DEATH (4 DECEMBER 1975) BY COUNCILLOR F.C. HEWESTON MAYOR OF THE BOROUGH ON 7 DECEMBER 1975