William CarlylePrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A marble tablet commemorates William Bell Carlyle who was a magistrate in the Port Macquarie area and former surgeon in the Royal navy who died in 1844. 

When Oxley Roamed the Tablelands 
(Written for the Royal Australian Historical Society by  J. F. Campbell, L.S.) (No. 12)
Dr. W. B. Carlyle, Surgeon Superintendent of transport vessels finally landed in Sydney in 1827, and settled on his grant of two thousand acres, Invermein, in the Hunter Valley. About eight years later he joined the New England pioneer squatters, and occupied a tributary valley of the Muluerindie River, which was named Carlyle's Gully. He was unfortunate in the choice of this squattage, as the country lies within the New England granlte belt, which formation, in its unimproved condition, was, and still is, especially in drooping seasons, unsuitable for the healthy maintenance of sheep. Having disposed of his Hunter River property to Clerk and Rankin, in 1836, which sale evidently carried the rights of his Tableland occupancy, Carlyle's Gully, he moved to the Port Macquarie district, where he resided for the remainder of his life. His death occurred on September 5, 1844, regarding which the local correspondent of the "Sydney Morning Herald" writes: "In the discharge of his public duties, Dr. Carlyle had ranked for years as one of the first magistrates of the Commission, and in private life he bore an inestimable character. The inhabitants of Port Macquarie where he has resided for the last ten or twelve years, have entered into subscription for a marble slab, which they propose to erect to his memory in St. Thomas' Church. 
Excerpt from Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser (NSW), 5 September 1932. 


Address:William & Murray Street, St Thomas Anglican Church, Port Macquarie, 2444
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.431748
Long: 152.910704
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial


Front Inscription

Sacred To The Memory Of
Surgeon In The Royal Navy And For Many Years
A Magistrate Of This Territory,
Who Departed This Life
On The 5th Day Of September, 1844, Aged 56 years.

This Tablet Is Erected To His Memory, By His Friends
In This District, To Whom He Had Endeared Himself By
His Numerous Virtues, As A Mark Of Their Regard, And
An Humble Tribute To Departed Worth.
"In The Way Of Righteousness Is Life, And In The
Pathway Thereof There Is No Death." Prov, 12 Chap. 28 verse.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design