www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir Charles Sladen Print Page Print this page

Sladen Park : 10-09-2013
Sladen Park : 10-09-2013

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford

A park commemorates Sir Charles Sladen who became the 6th Premier of Victoria.

In November 1855 Sladen was nominated to the Victorian Legislative Council, and was appointed acting Treasurer. When Victoria gained responsible government in 1856, Sladen was elected to the Victorian Legislative Assembly as Member for Geelong, and became Treasurer in the ministry of William Haines, a position he held until March 1857. He advocated the creation of a public bank and increased immigration.

A firm conservative, Sladen lost his seat in the liberal election victory of 1861, but re-entered politics in 1864 when he was elected to the Legislative Council for Western Province. When the liberal Premier James McCulloch resigned in May 1868 during the conflict between the government and the Council over the proposed grant to retiring Governor Charles Darling, Sladen was asked by the new Governor, Sir John Manners-Sutton, to form a government. Since he had little support in the Assembly, his government had no prospect of long-term survival. Following the resolution of the Darling grant crisis, he stepped down in July, and in September he retired from the Council.

In September 1876 Sladen was again elected to the Council for Western Province, and became the de facto leader of the Council in its conflicts with the Assembly. Sladen retired in 1882 due to poor health and died in 1884 in Geelong.

Location

Address:Russell Street, Sladen Park , Newtown, 3220
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.156967
Long: 144.346344
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Link: http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonl…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 4th August, 1966
Front Inscription

SLADEN PARK

Left Side Inscription

CITY of NEWTOWN & CHILWELL
      SLADEN PARK
OFFICIALLY OPENED 4TH AUGUST,1966
                      BY

 CR. V.F.LAMBERT  J.P. MAYOR
       IN HONOUR OF
SIR CHARLES SLADEN
 

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design