Robert Burns Print Page
A monument commemorates Scottish poet, Robert Burns and is identical to the one erected at his birthplace in Scotland.
Born in 1759 in the tiny village of Alloway, near Ayr, Robert Burns is one of the most celebrated figures in Scottish history. His work is of great literary importance and he is notable for his influence on the poetry and culture of Scotland. The son of a peasant farmer, Burns grew up in abject poverty. Yet recognising the value of education, his father contracted local teacher John Murdoch to tutor his son.
From an early age it was apparent that Burns was a gifted scholar. His first published book, Poems, Chiefly in Scottish Dialect (1786), immediately captured the hearts of the Scottish public, and was considered one of the greatest collections of poetry ever written. Burns became prolific, publishing many poems – among them his famous ‘Auld Lang Syne’. He died in extreme poverty of rheumatic fever in 1796 at the age of 37.
Lawson’s sculpture of Burns cost around £1000, and it is said that nearly every Scot in Melbourne contributed. The memorial symbolises the contribution Scottish migrants made to the early development of Victoria, with many of the first graziers and squatters in Gippsland and the Western District being of Scottish descent.
The monument was originally located on the west side of St Kilda Road, where Sir John Madden, the lieutenant governor, unveiled it on 23 January 1904. It was moved to its current site in 1970, due to changes along St Kilda Road.
Commemorative functions to honour the Scottish National Poet and world recognised bard, and to study his poems, songs, writings and philosophy have been held continuously in Victoria since the arrival of the first permanent Scots in 1836.
|Address:||Spring Street, Treasury Gardens, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.814347|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||George Anderson Lawson|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Caledonian Society|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd January, 1904|
Erected under the auspices of the Caledonian Society Melbourne