Caroline JacobPrint Page
Memorial plaque erected by old scholars of Tormore in memory of headmistress Caroline Jacob.
Determined to extend girls' higher education, Caroline Jacob bought Tormore House, which she and her sister Annie reopened on new lines in 1898; they intended to prepare girls for university examinations. The excellent response soon enabled them to build new premises in pleasant grounds in Childers Street, North Adelaide.
Caroline Jacob designed Tormore's balanced curriculum to stretch students' capabilities, including, as compulsory subjects, English, Latin, mathematics, French or German, class singing and calisthenics, and encouraging botany, physiology and sport.
In 1907-11 she owned Unley Park School, bicycling eight miles between her schools several times weekly. Tormore closed in 1920.
|Address:||62-72 Jeffcott Street, Christ Church, North Adelaide, 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.910437|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 30th September, 1951|