Gladys Ruth GibsonPrint Page
Memorial sundial commemorates of Gladys Ruth Gibson, educationalist and womens leader.
In 1921 Miss Gibson had been appointed to Westbourne Park Public School. She later taught at primary and technical high schools in Adelaide and in the country before becoming inspector of girls schools (1941) and of secondary schools (1952)
A member of the Public Examinations Board (1942-63) and of the Technical High Schools Curriculum Board, she convened the English and social studies committees of the latter. She was a foundation member, honorary treasurer and a fellow (1963) of the Australian College of Education, a founder of St Ann's College, University of Adelaide, and president (1960-61) of the South Australian University Women Graduates' Association. She retired from teaching in 1961.
While influential and respected within her profession, Gibson was better known for her work with the National Council of Women—at the State, national and international levels.
|Address:||King William Road, Adelaide Festival Centre, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.919727|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1974|