Dr Robert BandPrint Page
Marble tablet erected in 1838 by the members of the Sydney Mechanics School of Arts in testimony of their gratitude for his many valuable services in the formation and subsequent establishment of the Institution. Dr Robert Band died on the 18th August 1837 on board the John Flemine. The tablet was originally erected at 275 Pitt Street.
On October 13th 1831, the ship Stirling Castle arrived in the then penal colony of New South Wales. The passengers included some 50 Scottish mechanics (or skilled tradesmen ) who had been recruited to build a new Presbyterian academy, as well as the core teachers who were to staff the academy. Among the teachers was Henry Carmichael . On the long voyage to the new world, Carmichael turned his attention to the moral and intellectual enlightenment of the mechanics and formed a small class to study arithmetic and geometry. Later, he also formed a class to study political economy. These classes must rank as the very first examples of formal adult education in Australia.
Carmichael and some of the mechanics had already had some prior experiences with the then emerging Mechanics’ Institutes and Schools of Arts movement. And so, only eighteen months later on 22nd March 1833, the Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts was founded at a public meeting attended by some 200 people. In the 1830s and early 1840s, under Henry Carmichael’s inspired leadership, the School grew rapidly and by 1836 had its own purpose built premises at 275 Pitt Street. In 1838, the School enrolled its first female members.
|Address:||280 Pitt Street, Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874086|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1838|