Professor Gordon GreenwoodPrint Page
Building erected in honour of Emeritus Professor Gordon Greenwood (1913-1986) .
Awarded a Woolley travelling scholarship, Greenwood investigated Australian federalism at the London School of Economics and Political Science (Ph.D., 1939), supervised by Harold Lask. That year he took up a lecturing post at the New England University College, Armidale, New South Wales. His master’s and doctoral theses were published in revised form in 1944 and 1946. He moved to the University of Sydney as a lecturer in 1942 and was acting-professor in 1947-48.
Appointed (Sir Samuel) McCaughey professor of history at the University of Queensland in 1949, Greenwood threw himself into expanding the scope of his department, which, in 1952-65, also embraced political science. He emphasised good teaching, promoted new ideas and encouraged innovation in research topics: apart from political science he fostered work on contemporary international relations, Australian foreign policy and relations with Asia, Britain, the Commonwealth and the United States of America.
Greenwood’s published work, and that of his staff, increased substantially the status and reputation of the department. The synoptic general history Australia: A Social and Political History (1955), edited by Greenwood, was widely used as a text. He founded the Australian Journal of Politics and History in 1955 and edited it until 1982. With John Laverty he produced a history of Brisbane for its centenary in 1959. Within the university Greenwood was an influential member of the senate in 1953-83.
|Address:||Union Road, Gordon Greenwood Building, University of Queensland, St Lucia, 4067|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.496566|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 22nd May, 1989|
GORDON GREENWOOD BUILDING
This building is named in honour of
Emeritus Professor Gordon G.Greenwood (1913-1986)
CMG, M.A. Syd., PhD Lond. Hon DLitt, FASSA, FAHA
McCaughey Professor of History in the University of Queensland
from 1949 until his retirement in 1982, and
Member of the Senate of the University from 1953 to 1983
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
MRS. THORA GREENWOOD
ON THE 22ND DAY OF MAY 1989
Professor B.G.Wilson Sir James Foots