Matthew FlindersPrint Page
The Flinders Memorial Arch was unveiled on Pioneers Day April 1948 by the Mayor by the Mayor of Port Augusta, Mr L.G. Riches, MP, ‘as a fitting memorial to an adventurous spirit to whom Australia owed a great deal’. The archway was sited in such a position so that it overlooked the Gulf and Mount Brown, named by Matthew Flinders, and with a special view of the Flinders Rangers named after him.
The Historical Memorial Committee of the Royal Geographical Society was largely responsible for the construction of the memorial.
Plans are being prepared for the construction of an archway at the western corner of the parklands to commemorate Capt. Matthew Flinders's exploratory trip up Spencer Gulf in 1802. The town council set up a committee at its last meeting to prepare plans for the erection of a suitable memorial. The site chosen overlooks Flinders Range and the archway will serve as an entrance to the reconstructed and turfed central oval and the new MBHA clinic which may later form the basis for a community centre.
It has been decided by the historical memorials committee and the council of the Royal Geogra phical Society to set aside £100 for the erection of the memorial at Port Augusta. About £15 of this will be spent on the plaque, which will give details of Flinders's trip in the Investigator. The memorial will be unveiled on Pioneers' Day next April.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 23 October 1947.
|Address:||Flinders Terrace & Stirling Road, Apex Park, Port Augusta, 5700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.491879|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 28th April, 1948|
Matthew Flinders R.N.
(1774 - 1814)
Commander of H.M. Sloop ‘Investigator’ discovered, surveyed and named Spencer Gulf February – March 1802.
In a cutter he reached the head of the Gulf 11th March.
He named Curlew Point and Mounts Brown and Arden.
Unveiled Pioneers Day April 1948