Ludwig Leichhardt - Burdekin FallsPrint Page
Memorial to the explorer Ludwig Leichhardt.
Leichhardt named the Burdekin River and nearby Mount McConnell on 2 April 1845. Leichhardt's campsites in the vicinity were all inundated when the dam filled in 1987. This memorial was erected by the Dalrymple Shire Council in 2006.
|Address:||Burdekin Falls Dam Road, Burdekin Falls Lookout, Ravenswood, 4816|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.644488|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2006|
Loation Burdekin Falls
Ludwig Leichhardt and his exploration party discovered and named the Suttor River and followed it to its confluence with a larger river that Leichhardt named the Burdekin on the 2nd April 1845.
After naming Mt Connell, (seen here across the water) the party followed the Burdekin River north to the junction of Big Anthill Creek on the 11th May 1845. All of their campsites in this immediate area were inundated by the completion of the Burdekin Falls dam in 1987.
Sponsored by Geaney's Stock & Real Estate
Erected during the Dalrymple Shire Council Leichhardt Rally 2006